Friday, August 29, 2008

Hercule Poirot: Death in the Clouds by Agatha Christie

Year: 1935
Detective: Hercule Poirot
Location: On a plane

On the short flight from Le Bourget to Croydon the woman in seat number two dies from a wasp sting. Hercule Poirot is also on the flight and he is not convinced that a wasp sting caused the death. Poirot has a large cast of characters to choose from in this ‘locked-room’ mystery and working with Scotland Yard and the Sûreté he sets out to discover the truth in his very methodical way.

I can see why Agatha Christie is so revered in the mystery world. Even though her books are so old, her stories are so original that they can catch even the most die hard mystery fan off guard. That's was this book did. This isn't the first Agatha Christie book I've read. It is the second; the first was another Hercule Poirot (prounced: ER-CUE-L P-WAH-ROW) called Black Coffee; it didn't leave an impression on me for some unknown reason. But Death in the Clouds did. It is remarkable how everything fit together. I found this book very ingenius and I was really impressed. And as I said before I see now why Agatha Christie is well loved.

No comments: