Thursday, April 4, 2013

Confessions of a Murder Suspect by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro

On the night Malcolm and Maud Angel are murdered, Tandy Angel knows just three things:

1) She was the last person to see her parents alive.

2) The police have no suspects besides Tandy and her three siblings.

3) She can't trust anyone—maybe not even herself.

Having grown up under Malcolm and Maud's intense perfectionist demands, no child comes away undamaged. Tandy decides that she will have to clear the family name, but digging deeper into her powerful parents' affairs is a dangerous-and revealing-game.

Who knows what the Angels are truly capable of?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While browsing the shelves in the YA section of my local bookstore I came across this book. With The Women's Murder Club (another one of Patterson's mystery series that I love) in mind I bought the book impulsively. You've probably heard of James Patterson's other teen series: Maximum Ride, the story about a mutant bird girl, Danielle X, extraterrestrial alien hunter (think Ben 10, orphaned and utterly alone), and Witch & Wizard, brother sister duo who are (you guessed it) a witch and wizard. with the recent conclusion to Maximum Ride (on shelves at a local bookstore and library near you) I figured this new series would be more realistic.

OK, maybe realistic isn't the best way to describe what I was looking for. However after bird girls, alien hunters, witches & wizards; I was hoping for something grounded in reality. I didn't mind that her parents were rich it made for good motive as to why she or her siblings would want to murder them. What made this novel unrealistic for me was that the entire family was super something: super arty, super intelligent, super athletic, anything skill you can possibly name there's an Angel family member who is "super" at it. That's where the disconnect was for me.

As for the mystery, the reason why I bought the book in the first place. Sad to say it also fell flat Don't get me wrong at first I was shocked by the outcome but after it sunk in my reaction went from, "::GASP:: Oh my goodness!" to, "Really?... Really??". I don't want to dig to deep into the mysteries that were in this book and I do mean mysteries in plural. There were several in this novel but the two important ones seem to be: Who kill Tandy's parents? and What happened to Tandy the night she tried to runaway? The first mystery was what I was really into. Again, it's why I bought the book. I didn't care for the second I just wasn't interesting enough to draw me in.

I could say that for the entire novel. About halfway through I found myself losing interest in the characters, the story, even the outcome. I guess my expectations of what this novel would be were too high and what it really was fell way below the bar. I am a bit sad because i really wanted to be blown away and I wasn't. On Goodreads this book got an average rating of 3.82 (almost 4 stars). I gave it 2 stars. I guess Maximum Ride would be the only YA series by James Patterson that I love.

No comments: