Friday, June 10, 2011

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel: The Warlock by Michael Scott

Alcatraz:
Although their ally Dr. John Dee has been declared utlaga, Machiavelli and Billy the Kid will follow the plans the Elders have laid before them: they will loose the monsters of Alcatraz on the city of San Francisco, thereby triggering the end of the humani race.

Danu Talis:
The Shadowrealm that Scatty and Joan of Arc have entered is far more dangerous than they could ever have imagined. And they haven’t landed here by chance-the warriors were called for a reason. So were Saint-Germain, Palamededs, and Shakespeare. The group was summoned because they must travel back in time to Danu Talis and destroy it. For the island of Danu Talis, known in humani myth as the lost city of Atlantis, must fall if the modern world is to exist.

San Francisco:
The end is finally near. Josh Newman has chosen a side, and he will not stand with his sister, Sophie, or with the Alchemyst, Nicholas Flamel. He will fight alongside Dee and the mysterious Virginia Dare. Unless Sophie can find her twin before the battle begins, all is lost – forever....


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

The Warlock picks up moments after the events of The Necromancer ends plunging you right back into the excitement (which was dying down). There isn't much to say about this bookbesides the fact that there wasn't much action, that wouldn't end up spoiling you. Seeing that The Warlock is the first to last book in the series, everything was just one major history lesson and briefing of what's to come and what role each character was to play in the main event, rolled into one. For a person who likes learning about the characters in a story especially one as mysterious as this one is, you would find this book to your liking. For the person driven by action there isn't much but don't there is enough to wet your appetite until the big finale.

Me, personally, I am the former of the two. I like to quarter-heartedly joke that my nosiness is what drives my desire to learn what makes characters (and people) tick. So i enjoyed it for the oodles of info this book packed. However, that desire became my undoing. Why? Two words; major cliffhanger. A regular cliffhanger I could have dealt when. I would have liked it  but I would have been fine. What happened? Well, I can't exactly tell you where it all went tumbling downhill but I will tell you this. Something big happened, there was a moment or two for you to catch your breath then a bombshell was dropped the end That's. How. It. Happened. No exaggeration. When I visualize the way I felt at the end of the story only one image comes to mind and it is in no conceivable way pretty; but I'll tell you anyway.

I was going to warn you against reading this next part of my review but it doesn't affect the plot of the series it was taken from.

There is a character in The Last Apprentice/Spook's Apprentice/Wardstone Chronicles a series by Joseph Delaney (A really awesome horror series just so you now). Anyway, the  characterwhose name is Grimalkin, had a child with The Devil. A beautiful baby boy for those want to know. When The Devil met his son he sensed that the boy wasn't going to be evil and "dashed his head against a rock" JD's words not mine. Nasty isn't it. Well, that's how I felt; like Grimalkin seeing her beautiful baby boy brutally bludgeoned.

You can roll your eyes and call me drama queen but you'd be highly annoyed too if you have to wait a year for what happens next.

::Taking a moment to breathe::

Crazy rant aside. If you've already read this novel and want desperately to analyze the hack out of the events of the story, I strongly suggest you head of to the forums at Flamel's Immortal Portal(.com) and joint in the discussion there.

On an entirely separate note; I just want to point out that this is my first post in almost three months. I would apologize but i see this happening again (life is always getting in the way). Most people would admit defeat and quit but i love blogging too much to stop. Like I mentioned before even If I'm not blogging I am still reading. If you're curious to know what I'm reading you can view my Good Reads profile (it's on the right below my email). Until next timehopefully very, very soon.

No comments: