Thursday, December 2, 2010

Book2Movie: Tangled

Movie: Tangled
Based on: Rapunzel
Story by: Jacob & Wilhelm Grimm
Screenplay by: Dan Fogelman

Storyline Written by Douglas Young (the-movie-guy)
After receiving the healing powers from a magical flower, the baby Princess Rapunzel is kidnapped from the palace in the middle of the night by Mother Gothel. Mother Gothel knows that the flower's magical powers are now growing within the golden hair of Rapunzel, and to stay young, she must lock Rapunzel in her hidden tower. Rapunzel is now a teenager and her hair has grown to a length of 70-feet. The beautiful Rapunzel has been in the tower her entire life, and she is curious of the outside world. One day, the bandit Flynn Rider scales the tower and is taken captive by Rapunzel. Rapunzel strikes a deal with the charming thief to act as her guide to travel to the place where the floating lights come from that she has seen every year on her birthday. Rapunzel is about to have the most exciting and magnificent journey of her life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I saw this movie Saturday night with my cousin. It was kinda impromptu. I'd just watched the trailer on TV for the umpteenth time; wondering what the movie really was about I decided to check out Wikipedia and read the plot. Needless to say it is nothing like the movie trailer would lead you to believe. So one thing lead to another and we found ourselves at the movies catching the last showing (which happened to be in 3D) which was at 10 pm and cost us $30. I'm not a fan of 3D not because I think it's a waste of money (I personally think that it's one step closer to interactive movies) but for me watching a movie in 3D is the same as watching it normally; so I'm not getting into detail about the technical aspect of the movie in 3D.

The movie was what a really good Disney movie should be and then some. There was action, romance, comedy, and a disneyfied princess. But like other Disney princesses: Ariel, Jasmine, Belle, Pocahontas, Mulan (yes, Mulan too), and Giselle (I don't know know about the other Disney princess, Tiana (from the Princess and the Frog) because I haven't been able to watch the movie, yet). Rapunzel actually pulled her weight in the movie. I could go on and on about how and why that relates to the feminist beliefs of this time but I won't.

So instead think about your first Disney princess movie; mine was Beauty and the Beast-- she was a BBL too, but as it turned out it was also my mom's favorite as well. She'd come home from a long hard day at work and watch it over and over and over again (of coarse I'm exaggerating a bit My Fair Lady was another favorite that she watched too) so you can how I'd find her unappealing after a while. Then in 1998 there was Mulan, in 2007 Enchanted wormed it's way into my jaded Disney heart but it didn't leave the impression that Mulan did.

That intense Disney feeling that I mentioned was rediscovered while watching this movie. The lantern scene (that's what I'm calling it) was so beautiful. You can see it in the movie poster above but it is nothing like movie. So I have not one bad thing to say about this movie. Everything from why Rapunzel was trapped in the tower to how she save her "prince" in the end was true to the books. And as an added bonus they were able to weave the parents back into the story. as a little girl I've often wondered (worried) what became of Rapunzel's parents so to see them there on screen apart as the story throughout was reassuring to me.

OK, so I've told you all I can about the movie Tangled now it's your turn to go see it or if your not into going to the movies put it on your to rent/order on pay-per-view list. It's a really good movie and for you criers like me keep some tissue nearby.

1 comment:

wdebo said...

AHHH after your review...I want to watch it even more now!!

Yes! Mulan =]