Wednesday, August 19, 2009

ghostgirl & ghostgirl: Homecoming by Tonya Hurley

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
And if I should die before I awake,

I pray the popular attend my wake.

Charlotte Usher feels practically invisible at school, and then one day she really is invisible. Even worse: she's dead. And all because she choked on a gummy bear. But being dead doesn't stop Charlotte from wanting to be popular; it just makes her more creative about achieving her goal.

Heaven couldn't be a phone bank, could it?

Charlotte Usher discovers that the afterlife isn't quite what she pictured when she's forced to intern at a hotline for troubled teens. Before she can officially cross over, she'll have to be a source of guidance for one such teen. The problem is she doesn't have much advice to offer since dying hasn't exactly boosted her confidence level. But when Hawthorne High's leading, love-to-hate cheerleader Petula and her gothic little sis' Scarlet find themselves suddenly resting-in-peace in comas, Charlotte's opportunity to save them will prove to be the risk of a lifetime-for all of them.

First of all I'd really like to thank
Lisa Sabater for these books it was definitely one of the many things that made my last two days.

Ok, I have a confession. I wasn't really interested in ghostgirl. I've seen it around a lot but it didn't spark an interest. But after a while I became curious. So when I was offered the books I just couldn't say no. I like the first book, ghostgirl; it was like reading the novelized version of a DCOM (Disney Channel Original Movie) pre Lizzie McGuire era and if Disney wasn't so kid consciencious. It was refreshing. I loved the characters especially Scarlet and was glad I took Lisa's offer.

As for Homecoming; well, I closed the book with the feeling that I had this huge dinner with all my faves but I was still ravenously hungry. I do not know why but I didn't like the book. The idea of having Charlotte continue to grow psychologically, mentally and emotionally. Is a great idea. and the introduction to the flip side of Heaven and Marley (is that her name?) and an antagonist for Charlotte is also great, but it didn't do it for me.

Even though Homecoming left me feeling empty I have to say that I am intrigued by this series and will check in to see what's going on in the world of ghostgirl.

No comments: