Monday, August 25, 2008

Heaven Looks A Lot Like The Mall by Wendy Mass

When 16-year-old Tessa suffers a shocking accident in gym class, she finds herself in heaven (or what she thinks is heaven), which happens to bear a striking resemblance to her hometown mall. In the tradition of It's a Wonderful Life and The Christmas Carol, Tessa starts reliving her life up until that moment. She sees some things she'd rather forget, learns some things about herself she'd rather not know, and ultimately must find the answer to one burning question--if only she knew what the question was.

I always loved those stories where a person gets to explore they lives. I gues that's why I love things like Numerology, Astrology (even if I don't check my horoscopes), and other ologies that explore your inner person. For the protagonist (who is also the antagonist) of this story, life has been one bad decision after another which lead to a very sad life for her. I think the reader is suppose to feel sorry for her but I didn't. I find it hard to feel sorry for people who put themselves in avoidable conflicts. However, that doesn't mean I enjoyed this book. It had me thinking of all the wrong turns I had in life. Wendy Moss writes a great story that sends a message (or more) that speaks loud and clear; "The good and the bad you do in life while always come full circle.". As for the other messages, you have to read the book to find them for yourselves.

No comments: