Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sweet Valley

So! I've been hearing about the Sweet Valley High being re-released for about two years now. I guess I didn't take this announcement seriously because when I saw the first two books-- Sweet Valley High: Double Love and Sweet Valley High: Secrets, on display I was bit shocked at the sight. I was also a bit sad I don't know why, but happiness was also mixed in there somewhere. But apparently the books are being re-released to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the series.

I felt like talking about this because I'm currently collecting the Sweet Valley series (yes the complete series: Kids, Twins, Junior High, University, High, Senior Year, and The Elizabeth Series) I'm taking my time though because I have no bookshelves or the space for everything yet. Needless to say Sweet Valley has been a kind of a constant in my youth (gosh I sound so old). I haven't read ALL the books from the Kids, High, University, Senior Year, and Elizabeth Series-- I was mainly a SVT (Sweet Valley Twins) and SVJH (Sweet Valley Junior High) fan And I got into SVH after reading book 100: The Evil Twin.

A lot of people have been saying that there's no way that the series will reach the same popularity with this generation as it did with the last. Me? I kinda have to agree. I mean lightening doesn't strike the same place twice. But seeing the books there on display at B&N had me doubting that statment a bit. I'll just have to see won't I?

In the mean time I'm just comparing bookcovers. And personally-- I'm being bias here, I kinda prefer the old bookcovers but the new ones are cute.
__
If you want to check out the series Barnes and Noble and Borders has them. You can also check out Amazon.com for the books too. And look out for Books three and four, Playing With Fire and Power Play coming this August.

2 comments:

Axa said...

Awww.....I loved the Sweet Valley High books. I don't think I'll read the new ones (I know they changed some things to be up to date with the world *rolls eyes*)if I do feel like reading the series again I'll pick up the old ones...I don't know there's just something about those covers that take me back to when I read them the first time.

Unknown said...

I am getting one of the new ones just to see how changes play out, but I will always love the old ones. They are classics!